Believe it or not, pet owners spend over $370 million annually on Halloween costumes for their pets, dressing them up as everything from Hollywood celebrities to fast food items. For your amusement, we’ve broken them down into the top ten categories, in no particular order.
2. Star Wars is big as ever in the dog world, with Darth Vader, Yoda and Princess Leia costumes everywhere, but don’t forget about Star Trek, especially Mr. Spock.
3. Famous icon costumes abound, including Where’s Waldo, Lloyd and Harry from Dumb and Dumber, Elvis, Hello Kitty, Astro, Spongebob Squarepants and Gumby.
4. Christmas-themed costumes do double-duty for Halloween AND Christmas. Look for Santa costumes, Santa’s elves, doggie-in-a-box Christmas presents, stocking stuffers, and on a related note, leprechauns and garden gnomes.
5. Popular brand names are lending their licenses to doggie costumes this year, including the officially licensed Tootsie Roll dog tunic, Crayola Crayon, Heinz ketchup bottle and even an official Whoopee Cushion costume.
6. Don’t count out the old standards, such as a doggie skeleton hoodie, striped pumpkin sweater, pumpkin costume, pirate, devil, wizard, striped prison suit, burglar, hippie, rock star, princess, sailor and jester. We like the Alpine Oktoberfest dog, complete with lederhosen.
7. Celebrity pet costumes abound, including Sarah Palin, Lady Gaga (billed as Lady Dogga), Marilyn Monroe, Snookie, Pauly-D, Katy Perry, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Natalie Portman.
8. Dressing your dog up as a different kind of animal is popular, including a shark, ram, alligator, frog, dinosaur, tortoise, bat, butterfly, peacock, zebra, walrus, panda bear, tiger or skunk.
9. Of course, everyone dresses their Weiner dog up as a hot dog, but what about a taco, slice of bacon, banana split, baked potato, hot fudge Sundae, cannoli, Thanksgiving turkey, donut dog, sushi dog or even a pumpkin spice latte.
10. Wizard of Oz-themed costumes are still popular, and if you have a little terrier mutt, of course you’re going to go as Dorothy and put him in a basket, but you’ll also find the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow, flying monkey, wicked witch AND — there’s even a Dorothy doggie costume, complete with a tiny little stuffed dog in a basket.
So what’s the stupidest pet costume ever? We like this Zelda Cave Dog getup from Costume Kingdom, which combines two categories — icons (Zelda from the Zelda greeting cards) and traditional (cave man).
And while you don’t have to look too far to find more stupid pet costumes than you can shake a chainsaw at, (Amazon, Halloween Express, Party City, Rubie’s Costume, Costume Kingdom, Costume Supercenter), the absolute silliest costume we found was a do-it-yourself number called “Chia Pet.” Find all the instructions to make it at Inhabitat.com!
NOTE: No dogs were injured in the making of this post. We absolutely can’t promise they weren’t humiliated, however.
For a REAL howlin’ good time, come out to Cutting Edge Haunted House this Friday, Saturday or Sunday night! WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? WHOOF! WHOOF!